Ubuntu: Enterprise Open Source and Linux
What is Ubuntu is used for?
Ubuntu (pronounced oo-BOON-too) is an open source Debian-based Linux distribution. Sponsored by Canonical Ltd., Ubuntu is considered a good distribution for beginners. The operating system was intended primarily for personal computers (PCs) but it can also be used on servers.
OS family: Linux
Type: Linux distribution
Developer: Canonical Ltd.
Several variants of Ubuntu are available in addition to the regular distribution:
- Ubuntu Server Edition
- Ubuntu Studio, for multimedia applications
- Edubuntu, for educational institutions and home schooling
- Kubuntu, a version that employs KDE (Kool Desktop Environment) instead of GNOME
- Xubuntu, for computers with limited processing power
- JeOS (just enough OS), a lightweight version for virtual appliances.
Canonical Ltd. adds new releases of Ubuntu at six-month intervals along with a minimum 18-month security-update commitment for each release.
Is Ubuntu better than Windows?
Ubuntu is known to be more secure when compared to Windows. This is primarily because the number of users using Ubuntu is far lesser as compared to that of Windows. This ensures that the damage in terms of viruses or damaging software is less as the main motive of attackers is to affect maximum computers.
Is Ubuntu still free?
Ubuntu has always been free to download, use and share. We believe in the power of open source software; Ubuntu could not exist without its worldwide community of voluntary developers.
Features of Ubuntu
Following are some of the significant features of Ubuntu −
- The desktop version of Ubuntu supports all the normal software on Windows such as Firefox, Chrome, VLC, etc.
- Ubuntu has an in-built email software called Thunderbird, which gives the user access to email such as Exchange, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.
- There are a host of free applications for users to view and edit photos.
- There are also applications to manage videos and it also allows the users to share videos.
- It is easy to find content on Ubuntu with the smart searching facility.
- The best feature is, it is a free operating system and is backed by a huge open source community.